Certified Floral Evaluator/Judge Program
Purpose of the Certified Floral Evaluator/Judge Program
- Provide a service for AIFD® Members
- Train proficient evaluators and judges
- Provide opportunities for personal educational enhancement
- Raise the level of professional expertise
- Provide opportunities for leadership development
Any American Institute of Floral Designers Accredited member is able to become an AIFD Certified Floral Evaluator/Judge. This certification will be recognized by AIFD and the floral industry. Becoming a certified floral evaluator/judge takes dedication, time and possibly monetary investments. Members must be knowledgeable about floral design according to the AIFD Guide to Floral Design and must be able to establish judgment based on the requirements necessary for the testing process or competition. Since all AIFD members have gone through the testing process in one form or another, they are somewhat familiar with the PFDE process, but it is crucial to stay current with the PFDE process and understand the requirements of any competition. Obtaining this certification is not about gaining recognition. Being a Certified Floral Evaluator/Judge is about:
- your willingness to share your knowledge and be of service to the floral industry
- having the generosity to help others succeed
- being impartial and consistent in your decisions at all times
- being able to validate all of your decisions
- having the ability to give competent feedback and praise
- maintaining integrity, respect and professionalism at all times
- upholding the AIFD Certified Floral Evaluator/Judge standards
The initial certification process is at no charge to AIFD Members in good standing. Interested members must complete all of the requirements stated by the Membership Committee and approved by the AIFD National Board of Directors. The following requirements are in the recommended order of completion:
- Participate and complete the entire required curriculum (one online course broken up into three segments: Elements of Design, Principles of Design, and Objectivity/Subjectivity). This course is a continuing education for AIFD members and is available at no cost. One CEU can be obtained per segment completed. (*Please see note below about this course.)
- Pass the On-line Evaluator Test with an 80% or higher. This test can be taken at any time prior to completing the process. One CEU can be obtained for completion.
- Complete an in-person design evaluation workshop and assessment. This evaluation will require the identification of certain elements, principles, techniques and applications. Each Evaluator must receive an 80% or higher on this evaluation to receive their certification. Two CEUs can be obtained per class completed.
*The run times for viewing all of the videos and powerpoints for the online course is approximately 3-3 1/2 hours (with time built in for note taking). You are able to start and stop the videos and powerpoints. You are also able to login and logout whenever you want during the timeframe of the course being offered.
Important Session Dates
– Online Certified Evaluator/Judging Sessions:
- October 31 – November 4, 2016
- March 27 – 31, 2017
- May 29 – June 2, 2017
Recommendations on enhancing your skills for the AIFD Evaluator written test or as a refresher course:
- Participate in the AIFD on-line class: Elements and Principles
- Participate in the AIFD on-line class: Design Techniques
- Review the following information in the AIFD Guide To Floral Design
o The Elements and Principles of Design
o Design Applications
Once AIFD individuals complete (and maintain) this process they will be able to:
- Receive a certificate of completion
- Receive a press release
- Receive a name badge ribbon at all symposiums
- Use the title of AIFD Certified Floral Evaluator/Judge
- Evaluate at a PFDE process if asked by the Membership Committee
- Judge local, state, regional and national floral design competitions as an AIFD Certified Judge
Maintaining Your Certification
Maintaining your certification requires you to participate in an AIFD PFDE Evaluator Skills Workshop at least once every three years. This workshop is currently being held at the National Symposium during the PFDE process. This event may eventually be offered at multiple locations across the country. The Membership Committee will send out notification in early February of each year to those who have to renew their Certified Floral Evaluator/Judge status.
- Maintaining your certification is monitored by the Membership Committee – as a certified member you are responsible to keep your status current. If you fail to maintain your certification you will not be able to use your Certification title and you will have to start the process over and complete the entire required curriculum as listed above.
- All AIFD members must be in good standing with their membership to use the certification title.
- The Membership Committee would allow one additional year to take part in the AIFD PFDE Evaluator Skills Workshop with the understanding that his/her status as a Certified Floral Evaluator/Judge was suspended during the extra year.
The certified floral evaluator and judge test will be held each year at Symposium. Dates will vary according to Symposium locations and the PFDE testing process.
The Membership Committee will send out notification in early February of each year to those who have to renew their Certified Floral Evaluator/Judge status. You will have needed to attend this workshop at least one additional time during your three year certification time frame to maintain your certification.
For additional questions please contact:
Jackie Lacey AIFD, CFD, PFCI
Immediate Past Membership Chair