Frequently Asked Questions:
- Complete a Candidate Enrollment Form and send it in with $150. Candidacy is good through June 30 of each year.
- Complete an Application to Participate and return with your $500 deposit by the given deadline (this will be mailed to all registered Candidates approximately 2-3 months in advance of an upcoming PFDE).
- Complete Step 1 of the PFDE: an Online Test (access given once Application to Participate is received).
- Complete Step 2 of the PFDE: Participate in hands-on design evaluation at the given location (typically just before each National Symposium). Total cost: $1,700 for PFDE + Full Symposium Registration or $1,450 for PFDE Only. Cost includes either Candidate status or CFD status for the following year after the PFDE you participate in, depending on your results.
- Receive scores high enough to become a Certified Floral Designer (CFD).*More details can be found here: Steps to becoming Accredited.
- The most important part of becoming an Accredited member of AIFD and being able to use the “AIFD” trademark as an addendum to your name, is for you to want to be a part of AIFD’s mission to advance the art of professional floral design through education, service and leadership and, in doing so, agree to pay an annual membership fee. To become a member of AIFD, you must first successfully complete all the steps listed above to become a Certified Floral Designer. In doing so, your evaluation score in the hands-on design demonstration must be exceptional (for more information on scoring click here). All PFDE participants who achieve such a score are invited to join AIFD in its mission. If you wish to accept this invitation, you will be asked to:
· Complete a biographic information form, and
· Return it along with THREE letters of recommendation (two from AIFD members and one from another floral industry professional)
Upon completion of the form and letters of recommendation, you will be invited to be inducted into AIFD during ceremonies at its next National Symposium. Fees apply (approximately $500, which includes induction fee and your first years AIFD membership dues).
- While both Certified Floral Designers and Accredited members of AIFD are recognized for their design abilities, AIFD members are distinguished as design artists who have committed themselves to advancing the art of professional floral design through education, service and leadership. Both AIFD and CFD designers must maintain their status by earning continuing education units. Accredited Members must earn 30 continuing education units every five years and must have at least five (5) out of their 30 CEUs in the service/leadership area, and CFD’s must earn 25 continuing education units every three years (CFD). Because AIFD members and CFDs pay annual dues, they DO NOT have to pay a fee when they submit their CEU reports.
- Once you become a CFD you are awarded a one-time $250 grant to participate in the next PFDE. You DO NOT need to complete another Education Pathway or take the online test again. You will just need to complete the Application to Participate once it is mailed to you and send in with your $500 deposit. You are also awarded a complimentary Candidate or CFD status (depending on your PFDE scores) with AIFD for your first year after your participate in a PFDE so that you receive the Application to Participate in the next year’s PFDE before it is open to the public.
a. $150 to enroll as a Candidate (Candidacy runs July 1 – June 30)
b. $1,450 for the PFDE only or $1,700 for PFDE + National Symposium ($500 deposit to guarantee your spot is applicable toward these fees)
c. If you are invited and accept your invite to join AIFD as an Accredited Member, there will be an application fee, along with an induction and certification fee (approximately $500 total for all three).
- You can find out more information about AIFD online classes in our Online Education Center. They are $79 for AIFD members and $99 for non-members.
- Accredited members of AIFD pay annual dues of $299 (early bird dues of $249).
CFDs pay an annual renewal fee of $174 (early bird dues of $124).
Membership for both CFDs and Accredited AIFD members runs from July 1 – June 30 of each year, and AIFD bills members around March 1 of each year.
- Both AIFD and CFD designers must maintain their status by earning continuing education units. Accredited Members must earn 30 continuing education units every five years and must have at least five (5) out of their 30 CEUs in the service/leadership area, and CFD’s must earn 25 continuing education units every three years (CFD). There is no fee associated with CEU remittance. You can find out more information about CEU remittance here: CEU Remittance Information.
- Each year just prior to the National Symposium there is a PFDE. This typically takes place on or around the 4th of July. More PFDEs may begin to be scheduled throughout the year on an as-needed basis. Please check the Calendar of Events for the next PFDE.
- How much time are we given?
- What tools can we bring?
- How many designs do we have to make?
- How are we scored?
We have an entire section of our website designated to discussing the PFDE hands-on design evaluation, and we highly recommend that you take some time to read over it here: PFDE Hands-On Design Evaluation Details.
For complete details on the AIFD and CFD trademark please click here.